Not Rules and Regulations but Christ
In Christ Alone-Part 10
Sept. 25, 2016~ Pastor Andy Rice
September Memory Verse: Colossians 2:13
“And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses.”
A NOTE FROM THE PASTOR:
As we mentioned a few weeks ago we’re in the process of producing a brand new directory for our church family. It’s been a few years since we’ve published updates and since then there have been many changes and additions. So, here’s what you need to know about this new church directory:
- We are producing the directory ourselves using new software that will make it much easier to keep the information current and accurate.
- The new directory will be distributed primarily via email (in PDF format). If you would like a printed copy you can request one and we’ll print it for you. However, distributing the directory primarily in PDF format will enable us to circulate updates much more frequently. Our hope is to provide an updated directory (as needed) each January in conjunction with our Annual Meeting.
- This new directory will include pictures of each individual or family, which is incredibly helpful for those who are newer to our church family to connect faces with names. I know that most of you would prefer not to see your faces in print, but please consider how helpful this is for others.
- In case you’re wondering, we will only be distributing the new directory to members and those involved regularly with the life of our church. We do our best to protect your information from being distributed far and wide. If there is a specific address you need, you can always contact the church office.
- “How do I make sure you have my updated contact information?” I’m so glad you asked. In the next 2 weeks we’ll be printing a one-page information sheet for each person/family that details all the information (basic contact information and birthdays) as we currently have it in our system. When they’re available we’ll be asking you to pick them up at the back of the sanctuary, review/add information as necessary, and then submit it back to us.
- “What do I do about the picture?” You have two options. If you have a high quality picture of yourself/your family that you really like, you can email it to us. Or, you can see Teresa Hartmann after our worship service on either October 9 or October 16. She will be taking basic pictures for the directory on those days, and then she will get the pictures to us. Again, it would be ideal if we had a picture for each person in the directory.
- “Why does this matter?” Believe it or not, a current church directory can be a powerful tool for doing what God has called us to do. First, a directory is a great resource to use in praying regularly for those in our church family, especially if you use it on a regular basis to pray systematically for each person (another reason why the pictures are helpful!). Also, putting addresses/phone numbers/email addresses into the hands of our people makes it that much easier to stay in regular contact for the purpose of encouragement. When the Lord prompts you to send a note or make a quick phone call to encourage or check in on someone, it is that much easier to follow His leading.
We are looking forward to putting this new directory into your hands this fall. Please help us out by returning the information sheet back to us in a timely manner, and by having your picture taken on October 9 or October 16. If you have any questions, please let me know!
THIS WEEK AT FAITH:
Servant's Heart Food Pantry
Prayer Group in the Prayer Room
Sunday Worship Gathering
|Wednesday, 7:00pm (October 5)
This Week's Sermon Text: Pastor Joshua Preaching
MONTHLY MISSION OFFERING: It's Not Too Late!
This past Sunday we held our monthly mission offering to go toward the ministry of Rev. Sean Donnelly and Missionary Air Group (MAG). Sean has been with us many times to share about this important ministry in Central America and Africa. If you would still like to contribute to the work of the Lord through MAG, you may still do so this week by using the special offering envelope to designate your offering.
MEN'S GATHERING: 1st Wednesday of the Month!
Since March the men of Faith Church have been gathering on the 1st Wednesday of the Month for an opportunity to be in conversation, in the Word, and in prayer. (Please take a moment to read about this new opportunity here, which describes it in much more detail.) All men are invited to join us on the first Wednesday of the month as we ground ourselves in the Word and commit ourselves to growing in godliness. The next gathering will be Wednesday, October 5. We'll be continuing in our look at the life of David.
PRAYER GATHERINGS: 2nd and 4th Wednesdays, Sunday AM
Please consider joining us as we gather together in prayer for the life of our church. These times begin by a brief devotional from the Word, followed by a time of praying for the needs of our church family. These gatherings happen on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month, along with every Sunday morning at 9:30am (with prayer primarily focused on the worship service). It is a great joy to gather as God's people and unite our hearts in prayer - join us!
OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD COLLECTION:
Did you know that at our Annual Operation Christmas Child Carnival Night we pack nearly 60 shoeboxes for needy children? To prepare, we need your help. Each month through November, we will collect items to be packed in shoeboxes on Carnival Night. In September, we are asking for HYGIENE ITEMS and TOYS! Washcloths, bar soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, hairbrushes, combs, etc., and don't forget toys - we need LOTS of toys: cars, dolls, yo-yo's, balls, etc., or anything that fits in a shoebox! If everybody participates, we should have enough for every shoebox! There is a box in the back of the sanctuary for you to drop-off your items of OCC.
FAITH CHURCH FAMILY WEEKEND: October 14-15
On Friday and Saturday, October 14-15, we're offering an exciting opportunity to be encouraged and equipped as a church family,. This special time together begins on Friday night with a time of teaching and fellowship including dessert that is for our entire church family. The emphasis will be on God's design for the local church and how we can live as a "family of families." On Saturday, our time is specifically intended for parents, as we'll focus on what it looks like to raise our children in the faith. Childcare will be provided for both Friday night and Saturday morning, and Saturday will also feature a special presentation for the kids. An email with more details was sent out last week, and we'll be sending out an e-vite soon with an opportunity to respond. For now, please save the date!
FOOD PANTRY/FARMERS MARKET PICK-UP: Thursdays
Even though the summer is over we still need help for a few more Thursdays picking up fresh fruits and vegetables for our food pantry from the local farmer's market. Help is needed on Thursdays beginning at 6:00pm, picking up at Cedar Park in Melrose, then delivering the bins of vegetables to the church and helping to sort through them and lay them out for the Friday morning pantry. The bins are sometimes heavy and a vehicle with space for several bins of vegetables is necessary. If you're able to help in the coming few weeks please contact Joan Dean (781-662-6481, firstname.lastname@example.org); there is also a sign-up sheet for the remaining Thursdays over the rest of the summer.
COMMUNITY GROUP GATHERING:
Our next Community Group Gathering will be Friday, October 7. T
his is open to anyone interested in pursuing biblical fellowship together. This group will continue to gather at least twice each month for planned gatherings, on the first Friday of the month and the third Sunday of the month, beginning October 7. If you would like to know more about Community Groups, please speak to Pastor Andy (you can also read a brief overview here
PASTOR ANDY AWAY:
Pastor Andy will be away beginning Thursday, September 29 through Monday, October 3. Pastor Joshua will be preaching in Pastor Andy's absence, and can be reached in case of an emergency or an immediate need.
FINANCIAL UPDATE FROM THE FINANCE COMMITTEE:
The following is a financial update from the Finance Committee that highlights our collections to date and compares them to the amount needed in order to fulfill our 2016 budget. As you can see below, our collections are well below our budgeted need, which would lead to a significant shortfall at the end of the year.
| Budgeted Collections as of September 4
||Actual Collections as of September 4
Please join us in praying for God to continue to provide for the ministry of Faith Church. If you have additional questions about the budget or collections, please speak to Carolyn Smith. Thank you for your faithfulness and support of Faith Church. "Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." (2 Corinthians 9:7)
PARSONAGE RELOCATION FUND:
At our Annual Meeting in January, the membership authorized the future purchase of a home in Melrose to replace our existing parsonage in Lynn. More details about this process that were distributed at a previous meeting are available here
. This authorization does not mean that a purchase is imminent, but simply that we are prepared if an opportunity arises. We are continuing to ask people to join us in praying for this particular need, and more information about that can be found here
. We also want to make people aware of our Parsonage Relocation Fund
, the goal of which is to offset the cost of purchasing a home in Melrose. A recent update about this fund and our progress in pursuing a home in Melrose was emailed to the congregation. If you'd like more information, please speak to Pastor Andy.
Our Moms Together ministry continues with two monthly opportunities for gathering. The first opportunity is a daytime playdate for moms and their children that will meet on the second Tuesday of the month at the church, which is open to any moms who can make it, so feel free to invite a friend! The second opportunity is meant to include moms who aren't available during the day and to be a "moms night out." These will be monthly gatherings on either a Friday or Saturday to do something fun together. Mark your calendars for these new opportunities to gather for encouragement and fellowship. If you have any questions please speak to Carrie Rice.
Next Playdate: October 11
SAVE THE DATE
Family Weekend Equipping Opportunity: October 14-15
Child Dedication: October 23
Kids Harvest Party: October 29
Fall Fellowship Dinner: October 30
Work Day: November 5
OCC Carnival Night: November 12
Interested in a copy of the message from Sunday? Email the church office at email@example.com and we will see that you get a copy. Past sermons are available at www.faithchurchac.org/sermons.
Not Rules and Regulations but Christ
In Christ Alone-Part 10
Sept. 25, 2016~ Pastor Andy Rice