God's Sustaining Presence:
The Hand of God in the Life of Joseph
Oct. 19, 2014~ Pastor Andy Rice
November Memory Verse:
“But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. ‘The LORD is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘therefore I will hope in him.'" ~ Lamentations 3:21-24
FROM THE PASTOR:
For the past few weeks we’ve been using this space to think about biblical encouragement, and next week we plan to wrap up that series with one final post. For now, there are a few things to touch base about pertaining to the life and ministry of our church.
- Thank you! I know I speak for both Pastor Dave and Pastor Josh, and their families, when I offer our sincerest thanks for the recognition of Pastor Appreciation Day on Sunday. It is a blessing to serve the Lord alongside our Faith Church family and one that we do not take for granted. Your kinds words and gifts were an encouragement to us all and we are grateful.
- Right Now Media. Our church recently purchased a subscription to a Christian service called Right Now Media. This is an internet-based collection of thousands of Bible study and training videos made available to anyone in our church. The service is often been referred to as “the Christian version of Netflix,” with the primary difference being the emphasis on training and less on entertainment. However, there are hundreds of videos for children that do provide a quality and wholesome entertainment value. Our intention is to use these videos in various settings in the life of our church, but our hope is that you also will make use of them on your own. In the very near future we’ll be sending e-invites to the email addresses of those in our church family, which will enable you to set up your own login name and password. Remember, this is all free for you because our church already has a subscription! Once logged in you can view any of the thousands of titles available, as many times as you want. You can even invite others to join (for free!). If you have any questions about this, or would like to get started right away (rather than waiting for us to send out invitations to everyone), let us know.
- Meals. From time to time there are brothers and sisters in our church family who would be greatly encouraged or helped by a prepared meal Many of you often take initiative on your own to prepare and drop off a meal to someone in their time of need, and for that we are most grateful! But we also know that at times there are needs that are unknown. For that reason, we're putting together a list of people who would like to be contacted when a need for a meal arises. Being included on this list does not obligate you to provide a meal, but it gives us the opportunity to share these needs with those who are able and willing to help. So if you are one who would like to notified when we learn of people who would benefit from having a meal prepared and delivered, please reply to this email and let us know!
- Operation Christmas Child. As you know, our annual Operation Christmas Child collection – and related Carnival Night – are coming up in the next few weeks. As it approaches there are several ways that you can help, and one of the primary ways is helping to purchase items that will be packed into shoeboxes. We’re anticipating a large crowd for our Carnival Night, and so we’d like to be prepared to pack 100 boxes! You can read below about the most needed items, but another way to help is to contribute financially, since we’ll be doing shopping for supplies in the next couple of weeks. Thank you in advance for all of the help provided for this wonderful ministry and outreach into our community.
- Prayer and Praise Service. Mark your calendars for Sunday night, November 30. On that evening we’ll be gathering together as a church family for a special “prayer and praise service” – which is an opportunity to join together praising God for his faithfulness to us and to our church, and also seeking him in prayer for our needs and burdens. You can expect singing, an opportunity to share praises or prayer requests, probably a brief devotional from Scripture, as well as guided times of prayer. However, you will not be expected to share or pray out loud if you don’t want to! Plan to join us for this time together as a church family in which we can devote ourselves to prayer and praise!
We’re heading into one of our busiest seasons in the life of our church, and the many activities on the calendar are multiplied by the many pressures of our everyday lives. But as we serve, let us be careful to do so “in strength that God supplies--in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.”(1 Peter 4:11)
THIS WEEK AT FATH:
Servant's Heart Food Pantry
||DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME ENDS
Prayer Group in the Prayer Room
PRAYER MEETING: Tonight!
Our weekly prayer gathering on Wednesday nights continues tonight! Please feel free to join us in studying Scripture and in praying for the needs of our church family. There is also a group gathering for prayer each Sunday before the service at 9:30am.
TURN YOUR CLOCKS BACK: This Saturday Night!
Don't forget that Daylight Savings Time ends this weekend, so don't forget to turn your clocks back 1 hour before you go to bed this Saturday night!
6th ANNUAL CARNIVAL NIGHT: Saturday, November 15
Join us on Saturday, November 15 for our 5th Annual Carnival Night! Adults and kid of all ages will enjoy playing games and activities for a chance to win prizes to pack in a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child. You won't want to miss the fun games we have again this year! Even if you don't enjoy playing games you won't want to miss this opportunity to contribute to Operation Christmas Child. If you would like to have your shoebox tracked so that you can know its final destination you'll want to go to www.samaritanspurse.org/occ prior to the 15th, print off a tracking label and bring it with you. There will also be an opportunity to contribute toward the shipment of these boxes (a suggested donation of $7 per box), but don't feel obligated to give. Plan to join us for this fun night...and bring a friend!
OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD: Collection continues!
Each Sunday we'll be collecting items to be packed in Operation Christmas Child
hoeboxes. Once again we're collecting early so as to be well prepared for our Annual OCC Carnival Night in November! In the months of October and November we're collecting boys toys:
small cars, balls, dolls, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, small Etch A Sketch®, toys that light up or make noise (with extra batteries), Slinky®, etc. [no war-related items]; and Girls toys:
dolls, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, etc. It's also not too late to contribute school supplies and hygiene items! Your donations can be left in the box at the back of the sanctuary. Alternatively
, if you're not able to purchase items for boxes but would still like to help, you can contribute financially and we will use the funds to purchase the items we need. If you'd like to do this, please speak to Pastor Andy. Thank you in advance for supporting this unique missions opportunity.
JUICE COLLECTION: Continues through November 9!
Thanksgiving is fast approaching and with that so is an increase in the the number of families we serve through the ministry of the Food Pantry. Coinciding with the Thanksgiving holiday we try to give out more food during that time as well. In light of that, we need your help! Between now and Sunday, November 9, we as a church need to collect bottles of apple and cranberry juice...but we're going to turn this into a bit of a competition. Here's how it will work: If your last name starts with letters A-K, you are collecting APPLE juice; if your last name starts with L-Z, you are collecting CRANBERRY juice. Since we need to collect 60 bottles of each, the first team (either A-K or L-Z) to reach 60 bottles of juice wins! The prize for the winning team (or the consequence for the losing team!) will be connected to our annual Christmas party. The point is to have a little fun all while helping our food pantry - so start collecting!
Word of Life "Reverb": Nov. 7th
Reverb (formally Superbowl) will be taking place November 7th and 8th for students grade 6 through 12 in Springfield MA. Reverb is an all night event in which students watch a hockey game, hear a gospel message, play games and go bowling into the wee hours of the morning. Any student interested please speak with Pastor Joshua. The cost for this event is $30 and should be in no later than October 26.
Our ministry to moms that began a year and a half ago, called Moms Together
, is changing shape. Instead of weekly gatherings here at our church building our moms will be joining up with the moms of Seven Mile Road
, a gospel-believing church right up the road from us. In addition to that joint weekly gathering there will be other opportunities for the moms of our church to be encouraged together. Stay tuned for details!
SAVE THE DATE
Annual OCC Carnival Night: November 15
OCC Collection Week: November 17-24
Christmas Decorating: November 23 (4:00pm)
Prayer and Praise Service: Sunday, November 30 (6:00pm)
Melrose Home for the Holidays: December 6
Ladies' Christmas Brunch and Cookie Swap: December 13
Church Family Christmas Party: Sunday, December 14
Christmas Eve Service: December 24, 5:30pm
Interested in a copy of the message from Sunday? Email the church office at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will see that you get a copy. Past sermons are available at www.faithchurchac.org/sermons.
God's Sustaining Presence:
The Hand of God in the Life of Joseph
Oct. 19, 2014~ Pastor Andy Rice